10 Ways to Love Yourself Better in 2019
The idea of self-love can be a little confusing for some people and it's easy to see why. When you scroll through Instagram and see your favorite influencers posting about face masks and bubble baths you might start to wonder what the perfect self-care actions are for you. The reality is much simpler than you might think, it is about finding something -- anything -- that makes YOU (and only you) feel good.
Self-love is a personal journey, it's not about creating envy-inducing social media posts to show how healthy/happy/successful etc. you are. It is about taking small, simple actions each day that help you feel good and get in touch with your needs. So stop putting off your me-time and start putting yourself at the top of your to-do list! If you need some inspo here are 10 simple ways to love yourself better in 2019 to get you started.
1. Acknowledge Your Accomplishments: It is so easy to dwell on mistakes or things that could have gone better but challenge yourself to list the things you are proud of each day. Sometimes it can be a big win at work and sometimes it is just getting out of the house -- either way, you made it happen, show yourself a little love and give yourself a pat on the back. You're killing it!
2. Go Outside: Time in green space can potentially lower our cortisol levels (that nasty chemical associated with feelings of stress). Try taking your sweat sesh outdoors or take time for some quiet reflection in the park. Whatever you decide just get out there and breathe deep.
3. Get Some Sleep: This one is about quantity and quality! Make sure your room is set up for your best sleep scenario. Invest in some softer sheets or a mattress pad for extra support. Is it noisy outside? Maybe you need a sound machine or simply some earplugs. If procrastination is your game set an alarm for 30 minutes before you need to be asleep. When it dings you know it's time to wind down, close up shop and hit the hay. Zzz
4. Do A Full Body Scan: Take a few minutes to give your body some mindful attention. Start with the top of your head and check in on yourself bit-by-bit all the way through your toes. How are you feeling today?
5. Do Nothing: We are all busy and we spend our time heading from meeting to meeting and checking things off our lists. We are fed the idea that being busy is synonymous with being successful. Sometimes we just need a little time to reset and recharge. Taking some time to relax is a luxury that is often overlooked. Trust us, your to-do list will still be there when you're done.
8. Eat Well: Take care of your body from the inside out. Eat clean, whole foods that fuel you and nourish you. Try meal prepping and ditching seamless for a few of your meals this week. Knowing what goes into your body gives you power over how you feel throughout the day. Swap sweets for fruits and skip the sugar slumps.
7. Unplug: Switch everything off (yes, even your phone) and escape the pings, rings and incessant vibrations even for just an hour. Use that time to read a book, a real one with pages, or take a walk or try a new meditation. Getting away from our phones, computers, and tablets allows us to be present in our lives and recharge ourselves.
8. Try Something New: That fitness class you have been too intimated to try? That recipe that you keep pinning on Pinterest? A haircut? Start a journal or hit up a museum -- if it's been on your mind then give it some time! We often put off the things we are interested in because "something else comes up" but part of taking care of ourselves is allowing ourselves time for self-exploration. You deserve it.
9. Be in the Here and Now: It's good to remind ourselves that the past is already gone, the future is not here yet, all we have is the present. There is nothing we can do to change what is already done, and we don't know what is going to happen in the future -- do yourself a favor and save yourself some stress by re-centering and re-focusing on the moment you are currently in. Be here now.
10. Move! Self-love is about treating your body kindly. Work out and stay active because you care for your body, not because you hate it. If gym classes aren't your jam try getting your steps in other ways -- get off the subway a stop early or take the stairs, anything that moves you -- literally!
Self-love is a vital part of living a healthy lifestyle that keeps us happy and more in-tune with our minds and bodies. So take a little time to think about what truly makes you feel good, what truly makes you feel like you and do it! #mefirst